BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, December 18, 2009

Oh, Baby.

Perspective: (Lilith)

Per usual, a series of synchronicities created quite the interesting situation in my life.

For the past few months, my menstual cycle has appeared every full moon, however this past month when the full moon arrived, I did not find myself doubled-over in pain, laying in bed sipping chammomile tea, or fussing over the nuances of tampons and diva cups. Instead, I found myself grounded, active, pain-free, slightly worried, and quite confused.

Synchronicity #1: When I arrived at work, I mentioned to a co-worked how fatigued I felt as a result of working during the holiday season and my body preparing for my cycle. She took one look at me and said quite bluntly, "Are you pregnant?"
Considering I was late for my cycle, the most I could do was stammer, "I don't believe I'm pregnant. I am engaged, so it wouldn't be horrible if I was, but... I don't think so."
She replied matter-of-factly, "Well, my daughter experienced the same sort of exhaustion, and even continued to have her cycle for two months until she realized she was pregnant."
The most I could gather and present was a bewildered, "Huh..."

Synchronicity#2: My fiances Mother mentioned how she was having a chocolate craving as a result of getting close to her menstrual cycle. She also mentioned that our cycles are usually back-to-back; mine coming before hers. This, of course, prompted her to ask, "Did you get your period yet?"
Pretending this was a normal conversation, I tersely replied, "No, in fact, I'm late."
Knowing the I want Grandchildren smile all too well, it didn't take me long to realize what was going through her mind.

Synchronicity#3: I decided to rent Frida so John can see it, which it turned out he positively loved (he's such a skeptic), not realizing that halfway through the movie Frida becomes unexpectedly pregnant.

Synchronicity#4: John and I are eating dinner at the table and his Mother is watching an obnoxious television show that happens to grab my attention, you know, being that it is a dancing midget and all. During the five minutes I randomly decide to pay attention, I see a young woman who has just given birth to her newborn child, and is having second thoughts giving her child up for adoption after having the chance to hold and even nurse the baby.

Ah, yes, by this time I decided it would be a good time to have the talk with my love. As expected, the talk went fabulously and we decided that if it was meant to be, then we would trust the universe and view the pregnancy as a blessing, and a deeper commitment to our relationship and path in life together.

So, after seven days of not bleeding between my legs, we decided to go to the store and get a pregnancy test, which happened to be locked behind a sliding glass door, right next to an impressive array of condoms, and a not so impressive array of typical KY lubrication.

We asked for assistance, waited, and the most hilarious thing happened...

He walked up to the case with his head down, and proceeded to open the condom case assuming we were a randy, young couple anxiously waiting to rush home with our condoms and fuck like bunnies.

But, alas, we had already fucked like bunnies and we now need the pregnancy test, so we politley say (without laughing), "No, not that case, the other one."

He manages to nervously stammer, "Oh..." and fidget with the lock until the other case opens.

We tell him we want a pregnancy test, which makes him more nervous, so he starts grabbing for one and we once again politely say (still without laughing even though this time its more difficult), "No, that one down there..."

I supposed this was the straw that broke the camels back because at this point he said (while still looking at the ground), "You guys can just grab it..."

So, we just grab it, smile, wish him a wonderful night, and proceed to the check-out line.

Oddly enough, as we are leaving the store, I begin to experience what feels like my body preparing for menses.

Fifteen minutes after arriving home... GUSH... hello period!

So, it turns out I'm not pregnant, which is a bit of a relief and a bit of a dissapointment.

Synchronicity# 5: For our two-year anniversary, John and I go into Tucson for a fun-filled day of events and reminiscing, which brings us to where we first met and worked together at: Bookman's. We chat with old friends and co-workers for a while, make our selections, and head over to the check-out line, where an old friend blurts out in-front of a good twenty people, "Wow, you look great; you're glowing! Are you pregnant?"
At this point, I lose words, forget how to breathe, and somehow mention to croak, "Thanks... no... why?"
She continues happily, "Oh, well, everyone is getting pregnant and popping out babies. It's the year of the baby!"

Now, if I hadn't gotten my period just three days before that event, I would have been convinced I was pregnant.

Imagine that.

0 comments: